Thursday, September 13, 2018

Letter 1: Phil


Listen, I want to be as transparent with you guys as possible. Just so that you guys don't read this blog and then later on be shocked at the fact that I'm a fruit fly. Yes, I'm a fruit fly and here are some are some answers to questions you have or will have:

What's your name?
Phil. I know. Verrrry original. Phil the fly.

What do you look like?
Here's a picture my mom took of me yesterday!


















How are you writing all of this?
Let's not get into the logistics of it all.

How old are you?
I was born 5 days ago because someone left a rotting banana out on the kitchen counter and my parents were attracted to it and ended up deciding that is where they wanted to lay their children.

How are you so smart for a fruit fly?
Not to toot my own horn, but the average fruit fly is pretty darn smart. If I’m thinking this way at 5 days old, can you imagine how smart I'm going to be if I make it 40 or even 50 days?!

Do you want to have kids?
My natural instincts tell me yes, yes and then 300 more yeses, but looking for knowledge is more important to me. So, you’re welcome family whose house I’m living in.

Wow! These questions I am asking myself are getting a little too personal for my comfort. Of course, if you have any more questions, make sure to leave them in the comments below and I might answer them!

My mom said that she saw something special in me on my first day of being hatched, which says a lot since she also had another 213 kids that same day. Maybe it's because my vocabulary is really advanced for being 5 days old... but then again I was able to mate 2 days ago so... we mature pretty quickly. The fly world can be very strange to whoever is reading this. Sorry! Got a little side tracked here. You have to bare with me since I don't have the best memory. Remember, fruit fly here. My mom and I are really close. Perhaps it's because we both avoid humans at all cost and don't try to  befriend them like many of my family does. That's how my dad unfortunately passed away before I hatched. He thought the humans were being kind by leaving out these mixtures of liquids that smelled really good, but in reality it was a trap! He and over 16 of our family members fell for it that day. RIP

At first I started this blog because I was bored and needed some distraction from being in the house the whole day but then I realized that these are the same humans that killed my dad. Now, I'm here to expose their dirty little secrets and drama.

So far I have seen five people come into the house since I hatched. There's the parents, whose names I can't really tell what they are because they only say each others names at night behind closed doors, and obviously kids aren't going to call their parents by their first name. I think the dad's name is Jay, my guess it's short for something. The mom's name is either Merla or Maria. I'll tell you guys once I have their names down. The eldest child, Noah, must be around 21 or 22 (human years) since he's graduating college soon. The middle child, Sofia, is in her senior year of high school so I'm guessing 17 or 18. And the youngest is Lara. She's my favorite. She's 15 and makes fun of everyone else when they’re not making sense. I have that in common with her. Wow do I have the same sense of humor as a 15 year old? Or does she have the same sense of humor as a 5 day old fruit fly?

Anyway!

We.. I mean they.. live in a pretty big house. I also haven’t been in other houses before but my guess is this one is big since I get lost all the time looking for food. Big houses mean big secrets and I’m here to reveal each and every one of them I hear.

Make sure you come back for updates in these, hopefully, next 40-45 days!

Phil



5 comments:

  1. Phil is a really funny fly, who has provided a great and entertaining read. I can really get a sense of his youth and curiosity from this post. It's great how he is aware that he's a fly who is five days old and is able to type out a blog, very meta. It's clear how this post sets up what you are going to write about in your following blog posts. Great buildup for the juicy drama in this house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A story from the perspective of a fruit fly, brilliant. Its hilarious to say the least. I can't wait to find out what kind of shenanigans goes on as the story progresses. It gives insight as to what it would be like to be an actual "fly on the wall." Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never would of thought in a million years that a story about a fly would be so damn intriguing! I loved the attention to detail that you gave this blog in regards to giving us a backstory of the fly's life. It was read about this fly and his family, but it made perfect sense...everyone has a family, even a fly. I think in the future you can take us on a specific journey that the fly partakes in that would allow us to get a glimpse of a fly's world. Very creative and I'm looking forward to seeing where this will go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great integration of media by creating that conversation between the fly and the reader of Phil asking and creating that dialogue of wondering what he looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your idea is great! It's very creative and unique. I definitely wasn't expecting for the main character to be a fruit fly but this makes the blog lighthearted and fun. I love the personality you gave to this character and I'm really looking forward to learning the secrets of the family. Good work!

    ReplyDelete